Saturday, May 17, 2008

You can't have everything...

At this point, I'll take what I can get. Surprisingly, I had an interview for an internship at a talent agency here in town, and they hired me on the spot. The bad part is that it isn't paid. : ( Really, I wouldn't have expected it, but I can only hope they love me and want to hire me on permanently. I start on Monday. So, the good part is that someone wants me to work for them. At least going into this one I'm not being lied to about pay.

Dad bought a new car on Monday. So far, he loves it. It had keyless entry, which is a feature he never thought he needed. He's come to think, "How did I ever get by without it?" Not to mention that it will go almost 100,000 miles before it's first tuneup, and the timing chain is supposed to last the life of the car and never needs replacing. Cool. Low maintenance. Good for him. He loves it. The only thing is that the cigarette lighter outlet thingie is too far back for his taste. He wants it up near the dash like mine. Again, no car would be absolutely perfect, but he's not complaining. So far, it's not like things have been perfect and it's rare when something goes exactly like you wanted. That's just life, you know?

Then, we were looking into the price of synthetic oil (I mean, reduce our oil consumption as much as possible, and it's supposed to be better for the car--he's wanting his to last as long as it possibly can). It really isn't that much more if we get the Walmart brand. So Dad was happy about that. AND he'd bought oil filters for his old car that he didn't end up using. So he was thinking he'd trade them at the store for the ones for the new car. Turns out, the new car uses the same oil filter! Another thing Dad was happy about. He changes his own oil, of course. Then, we looked into the price of an oil change with synthetic oil there at Walmart for my car. It's $50!!! The lady was saying it was because of the oil, but really the price difference in the oil is only about $5 for 5 quarts. At most, that should make the oil change at Walmart about $25. But they also check your fluids, too. Like really, that costs $25 more dollars to look under the hood and check the translucent containers to see if they're full. I could do that myself. So Dad thinks they're ripping us off and said he'd change my oil for me. Really, I'd do it myself if they'd let me at our apartment complex. Oh well.

So, today I also got a book about MS Office. I need to brush up on my Excel skills. I can't say how many tutorials I've taken on the program, and it never sticks in my head. I just have a hard time remembering formulas and stuff. Hopefully I won't need to do anything really complicated at work. I think I can handle Word okay, but it never hurts to learn more. I want to make a good impression at work, you know? Want them to think I'm indispensable. I can't imagine myself ever being indispensable, but I can try. Maybe my winning personality? Something? Personally, I think that if anyone gets to know me well enough they'd hate me, but I'm insecure. I just compliment them a lot. Maybe that'll work. : )

No comments: