Friday, October 24, 2008

Sorry!

Sorry I haven't been on here in a while. I've been busy. Got a new job. Went to visit R in LA. Then, got scarlet fever. Yippee. So, haven't been doing this much. Been on Facebook mostly as it doesn't take as long to keep updated on there. So, I apologize should there actually be any readers out there anymore.

Lately, I guess I've been sick a lot and really worried about my health. It costs so much to go to the doctor and I really don't have enough money to go when I need to, even with the new job. I did go to the doctor with the scarlet fever, though. I mean, I guess the diagnosis was pretty scary when little E got it. I ended up getting it from him. E didn't really have a rash that we could tell, so we weren't sure. But the evening before I went to the doctor, there it came on me. It didn't really itch or anything. It just confirmed the diagnosis. So I had to take antibiotics for 10 days. Luckily, Dr. R is really good and he knows about my money situation, so he picked one that would be really cheap. In fact, with the generic, it was only $5 with this prescription plan from HEB that I'm on. Thank you, Dr. R. He also gave me a prescription for nausea, which is a common problem with me. I took it with the scarlet fever and it knocked me out, though. I wish it wasn't such a strong sedative. Then, I took it the other night when I had trouble sleeping and I still fought it off! I mean, one time a doctor prescribed codeine because of the insomnia, and it still didn't help. I can fight off just about anything when I can't sleep. Anyway, so I know that if I have one of these severe attacks of nausea, I'll at least have the prescription and not have to rush off to the emergency clinic. That'll help money-wise.

Still, I know there's something else wrong. I don't know if it could be one of my prescriptions or not. I mean, I kind-of remember having this whole thing start with the thyroid thing, and not so much with the start of my psychiatric treatment. So, I really don't think it's the meds. But I have this problem with fainting spells. I just get really faint for about a half hour to an hour and then it goes away. It usually comes up in the morning or evening and not so much in the afternoons for some reason. But I still worry that it will happen while I'm driving or something. Or else I'll end up getting hurt and end up going to the ER. THAT would suck. Once I passed out outside and banged my head on the concrete. Somehow I hurt my hand, too, as I had a death grip on the stair railing. Luckily that wasn't too severe, but you never know when it'll happen. I'd really feel better if I could get a job with insurance. The one I have now doesn't. However, it's a small company and I know they really can't afford that.

I did get to act in one commercial, though. I was just an extra, so I was just in the background of the first one. Well, it was more than one commercial for the same company and they filmed them all the same day. So I was in a few commercials. It was a local thing, to extend term limits for city council members, who currently can only serve 2 2-year terms. The premise of the commercials was that it wasn't enough time to get anything done. I didn't really care either way, but it was $100 for a day. I know I don't get paid $100 a day where I work. So, cool. I showed up in the morning, and I was really early because traffic was surprisingly light, even though it was just before rush hour. So they let me grab coffee and breakfast from the crew trailer. I didn't sleep very well the night before and I was exhausted. Then, the other actors started arriving and they made an area for us in the waiting area of the restaurant for us to gather and fill out paperwork. Basically signing in that we were there and giving contact information (the agency's contact information, in other words). Then, some of us were chosen to go into the restaurant and sit down. I was chosen, but they wanted me to change my shirt to better go with the other 2 people at my table. They wanted us to look business-casual like we were at a business lunch.

Then, they brought out food! It was a Mexican restaurant, and the brought out a nice plate of cheese enchiladas for me, along with rice and beans. It was really good. They encouraged us to eat the food. They took our drink orders (more coffee for me). Then, a "waitress" kept coming to our table during filming to refill our cups. Cool! So I probably drank about 5 cups of coffee. My stomach was NOT happy with me, but I was afraid I wouldn't be able to drive othewise. We were the background and the main action was at the table next to mine. Those were the speaking parts. So, since they were speaking, we couldn't speak or we'd have been too loud. So we were supposed to mouth our conversation. We felt pretty silly, but we were still able to converse with each other. So it was fun.

Then, they filmed another scene in the restaurant and they picked me and 3 other people from the first shoot to do it. I guess we had the right "look". Have no idea what that was, but...cool. I sat with this other guy and we chatted for a while as well. We didn't really mouth our conversation, though. We sort-of whispered, but no one said anything. Actually, I forgot to mention that in the first scene, the "host" came over to our table at the end of the scene. I MAY have ended up in that shot. I don't know. I haven't seen the commercial. I was probably in the background anyway, but I may have gotten a closer-up shot at the end!

Anyway, after we filmed the second restaurant scene, we got a break. I went to Da Vinci Gelato for an hour and got even more coffee! Then, we met at this studio for the second set of commercials. In this one, we had to be in business clothes. So I changed into my pumps, which were horribly uncomfortable. It was lunch by then. They bought food for us and there were sandwiches and pizza for everyone. More people were at this one that the last one. We went into the studio and it was painted completely white, with only a revolving door at the center of it. We were supposed to walk through the door over and over again. My feet hurt soooo badly. But they made all kinds of jokes with us, saying we were the best walkers they'd had all day, etc., etc. It was so much fun. They went down the line and gave us numbers, like picked the order we were going to walk through the door and gave us numbers so we could get back in line again later. I ended up being number 6. So naturally, I made some stupid Prisoner reference. No one got it, of course. Really, I didn't think it was that obscure. They even replayed the whole thing on Sci-Fi a few years ago and AMC is making a series based on it as well. Anyway, I enjoyed it. We got out by 4:00. Not bad for $100. Of course, I had to go to work afterwards, but I was okay to drive by then. I guess the caffeine had worn off, but I'd been awake for long enough at that point.

I wouldn't mind doing another one, but I need headshots for that. I did have those headshots done a while back--the free ones---but they haven't come in yet. The photographer has had all sorts of problems and apologizes. He knows it's been way too long. But he says they're coming "soon", whatever that means. I've pretty much given up on them and think I should re-shoot. I hate to spend the money on them, but if I want to do any more of these commercials and TV and stuff I need them. I don't know. Should I? I mean, you only live once, right?

The other thing is that Mom and I got tickets to see Duran Duran at the Majestic Theatre! Yea! I'm so excited. I haven't been to a concert in a long time, and I haven't been to that venue in ages, either. I've always loved that venue. My first concert ever was at that venue. I wish I could have seen Tim Finn in Austin, but hey. You can't have everything. Tickets just cost so much these days and it's not like I have money to spend on stuff like that. I mean, my trip to LA was "bought" by C's mom with her airline miles. I didn't even buy that. Another reason I'm concerned about getting headshots. Everyone tells me I should do it, though. They say I'd be good at acting. I don't know about that, though. Acting for friends and family is different than doing it for a stranger, you know? Maybe classes would help. I don't know.

Well, I guess I'd better go for now. I'm supposed to be working, but I just don't have anything to do. I'd better TRY to look busy, though! : )

No comments: