Friday, April 18, 2008

I'm an idiot

Okay, I always prided myself as being a relatively smart person. Apparently I'm only good at pointing out when others are making mistakes. Perhaps I'm only good at things that involve studying and books, etc. I don't know. But I received a check in the mail with no note or anything in it. My natural thought is that it must be a sweepstakes win, as that happens sometimes. When you win, you just get the prize in the mail with no notice or anything. So I deposit the check, wait for the bank to tell me the balance is available, and then I buy a camera as that's what I really needed in order to help me find a job. Well, as it turns out, while my balance said "pending", it wasn't because the bank was checking to see if there were funds in the other bank account or if the check was bogus. I don't know what they were doing exactly. But they tend to make the balance available right away as a courtesy to members. Then, a couple of days later, I get an e-mail and a phone call from this guy who had been trying to set up a photography job with me and he says HE sent the check. Well, I wasn't going to take the job because he seemed kind-of shady to me. There were things about the whole thing that I didn't like. But then, I'd already used the money. Great. So I have to wait for the check to clear now, so that I can return the money to the guy (if it isn't a scam in the first place). I also have to return the camera so that I can get that part of the money back. Of course, I have to wait until I GET the camera as I'd bought it on Amazon and it's not here yet. Great. Just what I needed. More stress. I mean, if I'd known the check was from that guy (I mean it, no note, no return address, nothing in the envelope) I would have sent it right back to him immediately. I wouldn't have even deposited it or anything. Maybe I should have been a little more suspicious of the check, but money's been tight as I hadn't gotten paid yet (still haven't) and I was desperate for cash. I was also hoping to visit R, C, and little E in LA. But, I guess that's not going to happen after all. Anyway, I guess I just needed to gripe.

Tonight I'm meeting RE for coffee. He's also having a little fondue get-together on Sunday that he wanted me to come to. But he told me I could bring a date, so I guess that means he only thinks of me as a friend. I guess I wasn't sure, but it's good to know where I stand. Maybe it could still turn into something more, but at least he's not in any rush and neither am I at this point. Right now I just want to get a steady job (that will actually pay me) before I start worrying about anything else. I had an interview today at the McNay Art Museum here. It's far, as it took me 50 minutes to get there and traffic wasn't really that bad. The job is only part-time and the hours would be weird, but at least I could get paid there. It's in the gift shop as a retail sales assistant, so nothing fancy. The problem with it is that it doesn't start until June as the museum is closed right now for renovations. So I still have time to find something full-time before then.

Anyway, I guess I'll go for now. It's almost time for coffee, so I can decide what tasty Starbucks treat I should go for today. : )

No comments: