Friday, April 4, 2008

Recently...

Recently, I discovered I suck at web design. I apparently effed up an important client's website and someone has to clean up my mess. I feel so stupid. I have no clue what I did wrong either. But for some reason, when I downloaded the files, something got effed up and I was the only one logged into the server at the time. So it must have been me. All I was supposed to do was change the phone number on the website, but it was in a Flash format that wasn't compatible with my trial version, so I couldn't do it. Okay, right? No harm done. But the guy has tons of extra files in there that shouldn't be in there, including an old version of the site's homepage. Now THAT'S what's loading instead of the newer Flash site. Uggh. Every time I try to mess with this guy's files, something goes wrong. I think the guy isn't a very good designer in some ways, in that he stores EVERYTHING in the folders on the server instead of just the files needed for the site and he doesn't give the files descriptive names, just things like menu08 or menu02. So it's confusing as hell. But he can do things with Flash that I don't know how to do, so he's going to have to fix it.

The one thing I was able to do was to update the sign that goes out in front of the building as she wanted some changes done to the file that another guy had designed. That I was able to do. So my next project is to update the prices on a menu. Should be simple enough if I have the files. But this other guy has the files and has to e-mail them to me. We'll see when that happens. Most of the time, when I go to the office, I'm sitting there chatting with my boss and reading e-mail as I have nothing to do. Hopefully that will change. I've been bored. But, hey, if she'll pay me to just sit there, that's fine with me. I just don't want to be seen as expendable, you know? So I keep reminding her that I'm willing and able to do other things than what she hired me to do. Hopefully she'll find me some more work next week.

Also, as recently as last week, R and E were here. It wasn't a long visit, unfortunately, but we did manage to go downtown and visit Market Square (El Mercado), Mi Tierra, the Alamo, and the Riverwalk with little E. We wanted him to see the famous parts of the city and remember it fondly. So now, when he sees a picture of the Alamo, he'll know he's been there. Actually, he was pointing it out every time he saw it in this magazine I have! I was worried about all the stairs, but he went up and down like crazy and didn't slow us down a bit. Of course, when he got back to the apartment, he went back to his usual cautious self, but hopefully he's getting braver. He did have his first ride in a bus (the trolley, but they had regular buses running the trolley route downtown for some reason), which he loved. He had the biggest grin on his face every time the bus lurched or went over a bump. One time he even let out a little laugh. He loved the river barges, too. We saw a lot of the historical buildings and even some baby ducks.

Market Square was first, where we spent most of our money, actually. R and I got some jewelry from this little place that got items from Peru. I also got some hairclips from Mexico (inlaid with silver). E got a tambourine and a little mini-guitar that wasn't really a toy but a real guitar, only smaller. I think he's looking forward to learning to play it from his dad. Then, we ate lunch/dinner at Mi Tierra and picked up some Mexican sweetbread for later. Yum! All in all, a really fun day. I wouldn't have minded going back down there another time, but I got sick. Like, what else is new, you know? But I didn't want R and E to go and cried when they left. I was hoping I'd get to go up to FW, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen and they can't come back down here, so I guess that was it, until I can make it to LA. : ( I was hoping we'd be able to see La Villita or some other places around town, but we didn't have time. Oh well. I'm sure they'll be able to come back to visit.

Last night, I had a good time at a meetup for atheists. Some really good conversation there. The food was okay, not great. But the restaurant had a lot of different items on the menu than you usually see in Chinese restaurants. The portions were okay. Really, it was expensive for what you got, but it was pretty in there and the service was good. I met some really nice people, including a guy who was a reporter for Telemundo. He was really hot, too, but I don't think he was nearly as interested in me as I was in him! : (

Anyway, that's the update for now. I keep saying I'm going to keep up with this space, but then I don't do it, so I won't even promise that for now. Keep in touch peeps! : )

No comments: