Friday, May 18, 2007


Really, could it be something more serious? I just had yet another stomach virus! I had been feeling a little queasy for about a week or so, but it finally got me on Saturday afternoon. R was here for a visit and I also got to see my grandmother since my dad brought her along as a Mother's Day lunch. So, at least I got to have lunch with everyone, but then I got really sick later and R took off to visit with our friend H. I felt too bad to go. I ended up in the bathroom throwing up all afternoon and evening. Really, I just did NOT want to go through that again. I asked Mom to take me to the doctor, but she said she didn't even have a credit card and was really upset because she didn't know what to do. So I called Dad and he drove me to the clinic, only to find that it was closed. Great. And it's not as if the drive was doing me any good. Dad was driving like this was a life or death emergency, too. I had to keep reminding him that it was okay and he could slow down.

We thought we'd find a pharmacy that was open and get some advice from the pharmacist, but all of them were closed, too. You wouldn't know it, but this is a big city and things don't usually close down that early. You'd think that we'd have at least one Walgreen's that's open 24 hours, but no. We didn't find one until we got to the Medical Center next to one of the hospitals. Luckily they had one bottle left of nausea medicine, which I took immediately. Then Dad gave me his credit card in case I needed to go to the doctor in the morning and took me home. I managed to relax and try to sleep, but my stomach was still churning and I couldn't really sleep. But I managed to make it until morning before the throwing up started again.

Mom was gone for some reason, so I got R to take me, although I didn't want to do that to her. I just knew I wouldn't stop throwing up and I didn't want to have the lengthy recovery that comes along with esophageal damage. She was nice about it, though, and took me to the clinic which isn't too far from our apartment. They were pretty busy, so it took forever for them to call me. When I went to the one in FW they saw me right away. Oh well. It was pretty uncomfortable waiting because I was so tired and wanted to sleep, but I had to have this trash can by my head in case I threw up. Eventually, they took me in to an examining room and took my vitals. It took a long time for the doctor to come in. By then, R had come in from outside and she said she'd fallen asleep. Lucky girl. The doctor said he wanted to do some blood work and give me a shot and give me an IV with fluids. I barely knew what he was saying except I heard the blood work and IV part, but I knew ahead of time that it wouldn't be pleasant.

The shot was this medicine for nausea that's stronger than the stuff I got at the pharmacy over-the-counter. But, of course, they had to stick it in my ASS! Fantastic. So, they're giving me the shot and THEN they tell me it might burn. Right at that moment, it felt like the needle had transformed into a blade and they were stabbing me. It didn't burn, but it was a lot more pain than I expected. Then, I had to have the IV and I was already upset from the shot and R couldn't calm me down. Luckily the shot made me sleepy and I took a little nap while the first bag of fluid was hanging. I had to have 2 bags. After that they took my vitals again and let me go home. When I paid for it, the guy said he gave me a discount, but it was only like $20. That made the total $426 or something. I was kind-of loopy so I don't really remember. Then I went home and went to sleep and R stayed on to talk with Mom for a while before she headed home. I was pretty disappointed that she and I didn't get to go to Starbucks one more time or something before she had to go, but I really wasn't feeling up to it.

The only good thing is that I got to see her for a little while before I got really sick. Mom and R picked up my prescription later and it was the nasty suppositories that I had to take when I had the stomach flu. The only good thing about those is that they make me really goofy and sleepy so I'm only barely conscious of the whole thing. So I pretty much slept until Wednesday morning, barely eating because I was still too nauseous. Feeling better today, but still queasy every now and then. Luckily I've been able to eat. R got me some of the booklets from Weight Watchers (which she is often trying to sell on everyone--understandable since she lost 25 pounds on it so far), so I can try the plan and see if I can lose the last 10 pounds I've been wanting to lose. It would be cool to be able to wear a bikini. : )

Well, not much is going on other than that. Mainly I'm just trying to get better. I hope this doesn't happen again. They tested my liver function at the clinic and said the results came back normal. Don't know what else it could be, but it seems weird that I'd get 2 stomach viruses that close together. Is it my immune system?

No comments: